A History of Spencer High School Basketball
Posted by: John W. Dyar, Richard A. Dyar & Glenda Winders-Allen
Nowhere was Indiana’s passion for basketball more evident than at Spencer High School between the years 1915 and 1970. Located approximately 60 miles southwest of Indianapolis along state Route 67, Spencer sits between Terre Haute to its west and Bloomington to its east. It is the county seat of Owen County, which the local Chamber of Commerce has designated “Sweet Owen County.” Both the county and the town were named after men who fought in the Battle of Tippecanoe near Battle Ground, Indiana, during the War of 1812.
Spencer High School graduated its first senior class of six members in 1876 and its last class of 114 in 1970 before consolidating into Owen Valley Community Schools that fall.
View the entire story
If you enjoyed this article and would like to read more about the history of high school basketball in Indiana, click here to subscribe to the Indiana Basketball History magazine.